Saturday, July 9, 2011

Weekend Adventures: Thrift Store Finds

This weekend we're spending it at the apartment not doing anything particularly special. This morning we went to the post office and mailed off all of our wedding invitations (and I just realized I have yet to write up a post for that...). Then I talked the fiance into going to one of the local thrift stores so we could search for some salt/pepper shakers to use at the wedding.


The Gulfside Regional Hospice Thrift Shoppe is one of my two favorite thrift stores in the Zephyrhills area. They are reasonably priced on most of their items. Also, they seem to get in some of the nicest looking used furniture I have ever seen. If you're looking for furniture, this is definately a place to stop by. However, if you see something you like, you better grab it quick! Stuff in this place tends to fly out the doors.

When we first walked up, they had a sign outside that said "Sidewalk Sale - 1 bag = 75 cents." Basically, you could put anything from the tables outside into a plastic bag and as long as the bag was able to tie at the top, you only had to pay 75 cents. Win! So we snagged up these:


We got a total of 7 candles and one empty votive holder. They all still had their original stickers on them. Had we purchased these all individually before the sale, we would have had to pay $5. Instead, we got them 85% off! These are perfect for our "hurricane" date nights when the fiance and I like save a little money on our electricity bill and turn off all of the lights in the apartment and eat our dinner and watch movies with candle light.


The next thing that caught my eye was this book on Civil War battles. There was another book sitting beside it about Civil War generals, but this one was the cheaper of the two at only $2.50, so I picked it up for my classroom library.

And probably the purchase we are most excited about:


These babies were in the cabinet at the checkout counter. The fiance actually spotted them first. They are teal wine glasses and match our wedding colors perfectly! I asked if I could look at them, and despite slight imperfections in the glass itself, they were in really good condition.

We had been debating on whether we wanted to buy bride/groom glasses for the wedding. Is it really worth the money? Would we ever use them again? Plus, we weren't really thrilled with any of the glasses we were finding in the stores or online. We had pretty much settled on the fact that it wasn't an expense we were willing to spend. However, considering these beauties were only 50 cents a piece (!!!) we couldn't walk away from them.


After the thrift store, we decided it was time for a little lunch. So we hit up the golden arches (a.k.a. McDonalds) and grabbed some grub with a coupon we recieved in the mail. By the time we left, it was starting to rain, but I convience the fiance to stop at one more store since it was on our way home.


So, we hit up the local Habitat for Humanity ReStore (the photo above is courtesy of their Facebook page). I was still hoping to find some cheap salt/pepper shakers. Needless to say, we didn't find any. However, we did find this:


Before you ask, no, we did not take this beast home. We had a good laugh at it though which prompted the picture. We did seriously considered buying it as a gag-gift for my stepdad. I think they were asking like $4 for it.

We did however find something worth taking home:


We found a papasan chair frame for only only $20. We tried our best to fit it into the backseat and/or trunk of the fiance's car. However, after spending a couple minutes in the rain trying to rearrange everything, we realized it just wasn't going to fit. So, this was our solution. We both stuck our hands out of the window & held on tight! It was only a 5 minute drive from the store to our apartment, so nothing major. Definately got some funny looks though!

And here it is in all it's glory:


I've had the cushion for about 2 years now. I bought it back when I lived with my parents. They didn't have enough space to store the bulky frame, so I only bought the cushion at the time with the intent of one day going back and buying a frame. The cushion is from Pier 1 Imports and I purchased it when they were having one of their sales. I doubt they still sell that design, though they have many others to choose from. I'm absolutely loving this chair! I'm actually sitting in it now while typing up this post. This is probably going to be my new "office" for a little while. :)

Did you guys visit any thrift stores today? Maybe the weather was nice enough that you could hit up some yard sales? What is your most favorite find?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...