Saturday, August 20, 2011

Weekend Adventures: Bag of Goodies

Who would choose to wake up early on their day off to go stand outside in a line for 2 hours? This girl. This girl and her fiance (who by the way is amazing for keeping me company!). So what could make the two of us wake up when all we really wanted to do was stay under the covers? Free school supplies!



Local country radio station K92FM hosted their annual Teacher Supply Drive this morning at the Lakeshore Learning Store in Fern Park, FL. This was our second year going to the event. I'm not going to lie and say that it was fun. We got there around 8 a.m. and didn't get back in the car until two hours later. Granted, it was better than the first year - I think we were in line for around 4 hours. And let me tell you, it was HOT! The saving grace was the donations by local companies who sponsored the event. One such donation was the amazing misting truck:


And this little guy worked so hard. He pushed that thing up and down the line offering up ice cold water to all of the teachers standing in line.


Another sponsor was a furniture store who placed some couches and love seats along the line for teachers to rest.



This is how they had the whole shebang set up. Basically a lot of pop-up tents lined up with all the supplies separated and piled up underneath.


And this is the bag I came home with:


And these are all the goodies that were inside:


And here's the breakdown of everything inside:

  • 2 spiral notebooks
  • 2 packs of wide-ruled paper
  • 1 composition book
  • 1 hard plastic coffee cup from Dunkin Donuts (that had a coupon in it)
  • 3 pairs of scissors
  • 1 box of tissues
  • 3 packs of crayons
  • 2 blue highlighters
  • 2 glue sticks
  • 1 roll of paper towels
  • 1 mesh book bag
  • 1 3-prong folder
  • 1 ruler
  • post-it notes
  • Clorox cleaning wipes
  • anti-bacterial hand sanitizer
  • 4 pencils
  • 1 pen
  • a handful of pencil topper erasers
  • 1 protractor
I estimate that the total cost of everything in the bag is about $20-$25 or so. I think I made out a little better last year in terms of what I was able to bring home. This year they really limited the number of items you could put in your bag. But you know what? I can't really complain. That's $20-$25 that I don't have to spend out of my dwindling pay check. And I totally understand that each year the number of available supplies will vary based on what people donate and how our economy is doing. So that's what we did this morning.

Oh, and before I forget, since it happens to be related to school, I wanted to share my belated birthday present from my parents:


Yep. They got me a mini fridge to put in my classroom! It's something I've been talking about getting since I started teaching last year, but I could never convince myself that it was worth the money. I'm so excited to take this in on Monday and plug it in!

So that was our weekend kickoff! I guess technically it kicked off last night when we went out for appetizers & desserts with some friends late last night, but you know what I mean. We're planning on going to the fiance's brother's house tonight. We're going to hang out, eat some pizza, stay the night, and then come home tomorrow with a new pullout sleeper loveseat. Well... it'll be new to us! :)

What is everyone up to this weekend? Any fun plans? Or maybe you're running around doing some last minute school shopping? I wish you luck with those crowds!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...