Monday, September 19, 2011

Weekend Adventures: Heart Walk

So I know it's not technically the weekend anymore, but I wanted to share what we did this past Saturday. Once again we found ourselves waking up crazy early, but it was for a good cause. The fiance & I registered for the American Heart Association Heart Walk that was being held in Orlando. It was my first time walking in a 5K (second time for the fiance), and I have to say I enjoyed it.



The fiance currently works at a cardiology office and they set up a team for the walk. For this particular 5K there was no registration fee, but they encouraged fundraising. So the fiance, his mom and I made it down to the starting line at 7 a.m. on Saturday. And let me tell you it was not easy waking up!

The only real observation I had was that it was really crowded! I have never seen so many people in Loch Haven Park before.




Probably my favorite part were all the musicians lining the route towards the end. The accordion club was out there.




And there was this jazz band playing some amazing tunes.



All in all, we all had a good time. I definitely want to do another one. I've talked about wanting to eventually work my way up to running in a 5K. I just don't know if that will ever happen. As it stands right now I can only run for 2 minutes on the treadmill before I'm gasping for air. The fiance has confidence that I can do it - sometimes I wish that I believed in myself as much as he believes in me. But that's one of the many reasons why I love him!



Regardless, I really want to find another 5K to walk in. It would definitely help with my current weight loss push. Right now I'm just trying to fit into my wedding dress... gosh, I never thought I'd be one of those girls! But I bought my dress back in March, and it fit perfectly. Then I got really lazy over summer vacation and gained a few pounds. Now the dress fits a little too tight, so I need to lose a little bit of weight so I'm not struggling to breathe on my wedding day. I'm not going to extremes. Only 5 or 10 pounds will do the trick. But after the wedding, I definitely want to work towards getting back to my high school weight. I promise to share the progress when all of that ensues.

Have any of you walked or ran in a 5K? Any recommendations for building up endurance?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...