Friday, March 30, 2012

Social Media Buttons

I've been dying to add some little features to this blog for a while now, but considering I'm pretty computer illiterate when it comes to coding and what not, it seemed like a daunting task. But recently, I became determined that I would add some of those cute little social media buttons to the side bar, even if it was going to consume way too much time to figure it out.

After a quick Google search, I came across The Academy, written by Isa Maria, and her super cute (not to mention FREE!) downloadable buttons.


Aren't those amazing?! I seriously wish I knew how to create my own digital design stuff. Maybe one of these days when I have tons of time to devote to it. Or maybe I'll make the hubby learn for me... :)

I loved that her set of buttons included a Pinterest button. A lot of the buttons that I found on other sites failed to include a Pinterest button, which is one of the main sites I wanted to link up to. Plus, the fact that the Turquoise 201 set practically matches with the background of this blog, I think it was meant to be!

Anyhoo, it took me a the better part of an hour to figure out how to set it all up, but with the help of Kira's tutorial she linked to, at Her New Leaf, it made the process a whole lot easier. The only thing I seem to have a problem with is the size the images are coming out at... can't figure out how to make them cute and petite. But, it's still a giant step forward.

So far I've only linked to my Pinterest account and an RSS feed. Hopefully I got the whole RSS feed thing right; it isn't something that I personally use to follow blogs since I have my blogger dashboard. But, I figured enough people must use it if I see it on everyone else's blogs, right?

I'm still hesitant to link to my personal Facebook account. If you've noticed, we don't mention our last name anywhere within this blog, for two reasons. First of all, we still feel like it gives us a slight sense of privacy. And secondly, being that I'm a teacher, I know my students google my name at the start of every school year. I'd like to try to keep my personal and professional life as separate as possible. I'm sure they'll come across this thing eventually, and when they do, I don't want them having access to my Facebook account. I've been thinking about creating a separate Facebook account specifically for this blog, but I was going to wait until I felt like there were enough readers to warrant making one.

As for Twitter, I tried it, and I simply just don't get it. Sorry folks! And I do have a Flickr account, but there really isn't anything on it except for odds and ends that end up right here on the blog anyways.

But for now, I'm really excited about my progress on this little blog. Its the simple things, you know? If you're new to this whole blogging thing, I hope the links in this post help you out as much as they did me. These girls are excellent at making it super simple to understand.

Any other blogging technical tips/advice you've found to be really helpful? What are some things you like to see when you read your favorite blogs? Let's chat!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...