Thursday, May 17, 2012

Recipe Resolution: Spaghetti and Breadcrumbs

I mentioned in the last installment of RR that I had made two new dishes in one night. So I'm finally back with the second dish that was made that night. 

THE RECIPE
The original recipe is called Linguine with Garlicky Breadcrumbs, and you can find that recipe here. But the inspiration photo used whole wheat spaghetti, so I decided to go with that. We also made some slight changes to the recipe, but I'll divulge those details as we go through the process of making the pasta.

THE PROCESS
Step one: Gather your ingredients and start boiling the water. Follow the directions on the package of noodles for the right cooking time.


(please ignore the obnoxious hard water stains on the side of the pot...)

Step two: While the pasta is cooking, mix all of the other ingredients (minus the breadcrumbs) into a little bowl. Since we didn't have garlic cloves, I just used a little bit of garlic powder. And, instead of parsley, I used some Italian seasoning we had in the spice cabinet.



Step three: Once the pasta is done cooking, drain it. Pour the pasta into whatever dish you're going to serve it in. Then, pour the "sauce" onto the pasta and toss. Lastly, add the breadcrumbs and toss the pasta a little more. Now, you're ready to serve. We enjoyed our pasta with our pepperoni stuffed chicken.





MY THOUGHTS

This has seriously been the easiest recipe I've done to date for this little resolution of mine. And the flavor was amazing! We substituted pre-made lemon-pepper breadcrumbs rather than making our own breadcrumbs from stale bread; skipping this step made the whole process that much easier. And the combination of the breadcrumbs and the lemon juice was perfect. But, I think the next time we do this recipe, we'll try it with regular breadcrumbs (still pre-made of course) and see how they come out; mainly to see if it works with other types of breadcrumbs. 

THE HUBBY'S THOUGHTS

Considering both the chicken and pasta had the same lemon-pepper breadcrumbs on them, eating them in the same dinner made the lemon-pepper a little overwhelming. However, I think if it were served on its own, it'd be pretty good. The breadcrumbs gave the pasta an oddly nice little bit of a crunch.



Overall, I think we were both pleasantly surprised by how well the entire meal came out. Both recipes are ones that we'd make up again. I'm seriously dying to make up this pasta recipe - so quick, simple, easy, and full of flavor! What sorts of sauces/dressings do you add to your pasta to change things up? Is there a particular kind of pasta you stick with?

2 comments:

  1. I love pasta recipes and this one looks like I might nit mess it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was nervous at first. Not an experienced cook and having to make my own breadcrumbs...not my idea of a good time. But when I realized that all we were looking for were similar flavors, I didn't worry about swapping out some of the original ingredients for taste-alikes. Good luck with your cooking adventures!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...