Thursday, July 10, 2014

What I Will Miss About Renting

A couple of weeks ago I shared the things I won't miss about renting when we finally move into our own home. I realize that I only shared the negatives about renting. So I thought, why not share the things I actually enjoyed about renting and what I'll miss when we move.

Probably the thing I'll miss the most about renting an apartment is free maintenance. If something breaks in the middle of the night (like our a/c), we don't have to worry about the cost of having a repair guy come out and fix it. It's all included! One of the things that scares me about owning a home is the fact that we're financially responsible for everything that happens to the house - that adds up to a lot of money! So the lack of stress with keeping up with all of the maintenance is something I will definitely miss.

Something I know Dan will miss probably more than I will is the pool. He was a swimmer in high school, as well as a life guard at summer camp, so he has always had a love for water. I loved the pool because it was an excuse for friends to come over and hang out. Dan's going to miss it because it was his favorite way to cool down in the Florida heat.


Next to the pool, is the gym. Again, Dan will probably miss this one more than I will. He went down to the gym a lot more frequently. He's definitely more dedicated to staying fit than I am. I'm pretty self-conscious about working out in front of people, so a home gym is more up my alley. But, those can be expensive. I'll definitely miss having the much cheaper alternative within footsteps of our door.

Another thing I'm not looking forward to in this new house is the amount of yard work that will be associated with it. We're *fingers crossed* buying a house that sits on an acre lot. Do you know how much grass that is? Considering we've only ever lived in apartments, we have absolutely nothing we need to maintain a yard. Not to mention, I don't exactly have a green thumb. So the idea of working on the lawn and making it look nice is a little daunting.


The last thing I'm going to miss about renting is living on the second floor. Sure, it sucks having to lug groceries upstairs every weekend. And moving in/out takes a lot more work. But I liked the security of living on the second floor. Call me paranoid, but I've always had this fear that someone would break into my apartment through the windows. Living on the second floor always gave me that peace of mind that no one could break in. Well, at least not through the windows anyways.

I wish I could come up with more positives about renting, but I struggled just coming up with this list of five. Can you tell I'm ready to move? Maybe you can add to the list. What are some of your favorite things about renting that you missed or will miss when you move?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...